The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is a true hybrid camera designed for both professional photo and video use. It features a 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS sensor and a 4-CPU Venus Engine, capable of capturing high-resolution JPEG and RAW stills, as well as UHD 4K 3840×2160 30p/24p and cinematic DCI 4K 4096×2160 video at 24p. Like its predecessor, the GH4 features a weather-sealed magnesium alloy body, while offering increased resolution on both the OLED monitor and electronic viewfinder. It also features built-in Wi-Fi with NFC technology, in-camera creative controls, and a high-speed 49-point autofocus in both photo and video mode.
The GH4 delivers video quality surpassing many professional video cameras. Video can be recorded in a variety of formats, from efficient AVCHD and AVCHD Progressive, to 200 Mbps All-Intra and 100 Mbps IPB MOV and MP4 formats. And because the GH4 is a global camera, the system frequency can be switched between 59.94 Hz (23.98 Hz) and 50 Hz, yielding a variety of recording options including 23.98p, 25p, 29.97p, 50p, and 59.94p. The system can also be switched to 24 Hz to capture true 24p in HD and 4K resolutions.
Video and photos are recorded to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards. For high bit-rate 100 Mbps and 200 Mbps formats, SDHC/SDXC UHS-I Speed Class 3 (U3) cards are supported and recommended. Video recorded to SD cards is 4:2:0 8-bit. Real-time 4:2:2 8-bit and 4:2:2 10-bit video can also be sent to an external monitor or recorder with an optional micro HDMI cable. Additional video features include focus peaking, timecode support, and cine-like gamma options. For unique expressions, VBR (Variable Frame Rate), time-lapse, and stop motion animation videos can be recording internally without the need for additional post-production processing. The GH4 comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack, battery charger with AC cable, body cap, hot shoe cover, USB cable, shoulder strap, and DVD with supplied software.
- 16.05 Megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- The 16.05-megapixel Digital Live MOS sensor delivers high-quality images with high sensitivity and quick response times. The increased signal speed readout helps to suppress the effects of rolling shutter. In conjunction with the quad-core Venus Engine image processor, you’ll enjoy dramatically improved sensitivity (maximum ISO 25600), gradation performance, resolution, and color reproduction.
- Micro Four Thirds System and Lens Mount
- The DMC-GH4’s 4/3″ type sensor is large enough for shallow depth of field and yet small enough to take advantage of lighter, more compact lenses than a larger format camera would require. Plus, the short flange focal distance of the Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount makes it possible to add optional adapters (sold separately) to use a wide range of lenses, including PL-mount cinema lenses.
- Dual OLED Displays – Monitor and Live View Finder
- High-speed, organic LED displays are used for both the Live View Finder and the rear monitor. The 3.0″ monitor features a 1,036K-dot resolution and a touchscreen interface for intuitive control, while the LVF features a 2,359K-dot resolution. These displays feature 100% coverage and a 10,000:1 contrast ratio. An Eye Sensor automatically switches between the Live View-Finder and the rear monitor, for easy shooting with both.
- Magnesium Alloy, Weather Sealed Body
- The DMC-GH4 features a magnesium alloy full die cast front and rear frame. A splash and dustproof design is achieved by tightly sealing the joints and control components. To further meet the demands of professional use, the shutter is rated for approximately 200,000 releases.
- Wi-Fi with NFC Technology
- The DMC-GH4 integrates Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC, letting you use the Panasonic Image App for remote photo and video shooting with compatible smartphones or tablets. The app also lets you embed location data to an image after shooting. If your mobile device isn’t NFC compatible, you can still connect to the camera by scanning a QR code displayed on the GH4’s monitor.
- 49-Area AF / Custom Multi AF
- The newly developed AF system features 49 points, giving you more flexibility when composing shots. The Custom Multi mode extends that flexibility even more with the ability to freely select what blocks to focus out of the 49 possible focusing areas.
- High-Speed Autofocus
- The high-precision Contrast AF integrates DFD (Depth from Defocus) technology to achieve AF speeds of approximately 0.07 sec in AFS mode. This enables the camera to shoot bursts of 12 fps in AFS mode.
- Silent Mode
- The Silent mode switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic and turns off sounds, while suppressing the AD assist lamp and flash with just a single setting. This is useful when capturing photos in situations where noise and light from the camera would be a distraction to performers or people around you.
- In-Camera RAW Data Development
- Shoot RAW photos and process the images in-camera to create JPEG images, instead of relying on post-processing. You can adjust the color space setting (sRGB / AdobeRGB), white balance, noise reduction, sharpness, and hue. Lumix’s Photo Style, Intelligent D-Range Control, and Intelligent Resolution can also be applied.
- Picture Profiles
- Choose from a range of Photo Styles and Creative Control modes. Photo Styles for stills or video include Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom. Contrast, sharpness, noise reduction, saturation, and hue parameters can be adjusted for each mode and even set into the camera’s memory.
- Professional 4K Video Recording
- The DMC-GH4 brings the GH-line into the 4K age by offering both 16:9 UHD 4K 3840×2160 video at 23.98p, 24p or 29.97p, and 17:9 DCI (Digital Cinema Initiatives) 4K 4096×2160 videos at 24p. 4K resolutions can be recorded as MOV or MP4 files in high bitrate 100 Mbps IPB codec. When recording at 100 Mbps, you will need an SDHC/SDXC memory card capable of handling the transfer speed.
Please note: For better quality, 4K recording modes use a 1:1 pixel map of the sensor. This yields a slight crop of the sensor, resulting in approximately a full-frame crop factor of approximately 2.3x when shooting DCI 4K resolution.
- Selectable System Frequency
- The DMC-GH4 is a true global camera, with system frequency switchable from 59.94 Hz (23.98 Hz) and 50 Hz. You can also select 24 Hz frequency for true 24 fps cinematic video.